Thursday, November 6, 2008

38 Weeks

Only 13 days left! (I'm hoping it's a lot less than 13 though, maybe more like 1 or 2 hehe)
Main progress for the week is that I got my bag packed, yes that's right, pat on the back for me.

This is going to be a post full of pictures because I have the normal weekly pictures, then pictures from the ultrasound, and 2 pictures I found online to illustrate my current 'progress'.

So here's what happened on Tuesday... around 1 am I started having what I would figure were contractions (being my first time and all, not exactly sure though). It was basically tightening along with cramping and general uncomfortableness. They were about 20 minutes apart and then by 8am about 15 min apart. No big deal, whatever. So as the day progressed they got to about 5-10 minutes apart for a couple of hours straight. Well, I had my weekly OB appt scheduled for 2:40 pm so I figured I'd just go to that, tell her what was going on, get checked and see if I've made some more progress since last week. Then I get to my OB office and she had been called out for a delivery. Since I really wanted to get checked I decided to go to the other office (where I've never been called in less than an hour after my scheduled appt time and since I didn't have an appt this time, I was sure it would be a torturous amount of time before being seen) in order to see the nurse practitioner. I get to that office and tell the receptionist what's going on and that I just want to be checked and then be on my merry way. Well she talked to the NP and the NP said that if the contractions were 5-10 min apart and I'm 38 weeks, then I needed to go to L&D to be monitored. I was like, look, I don't even know if what I'm feeling is actually contractions! For all I know, I could need to go poo or something! So I asked them if they were sure that they couldn't just check me there cuz I was sure it was probably nothing at all. Well, no luck. So I went to L&D where it took 2 hours (which was actually faster in the long run than staying at my OB's office would have been given their track record). The baby's heartrate was around 145 and went up to the 160s during a contraction. When I first got in there, my bp was about 120/72 and then they checked it again before I left and it was 116/56. The nurse didn't seem concerned at all with the drop in the bottom #, so I figured it was nothing. The nurse at the hospital checked me and said that the baby is very low at -1 station (which is great cuz she was still super high last week) and that I was still about 1cm dilated but that she could only feel the tip of my cervix because the rest of it was behind or to the sides of my baby's head (since it was so low) and that I'm about 50% effaced. So, basically all that means that yes I have in fact made progress since last week and I'm not going crazy thinking that there is a baby smashing my bladder because there really is a baby smashing my bladder! Woohoo! Anyhow, after being monitored for 30 minutes or so we determined that I was having contractions although not from labor but most likely from having sex...which I hadn't even thought about surprisingly. The contractions have subsided, at least the cramping part of them, and I'm back to just the regular old braxton hicks again. The nurse said I would probably go all the way to my due date (the 19), but I'm still holding out hope for an earlier delivery. :)

So this leads to the illustrations I found online. It occured to me while explaining 1cm dilated, -1 station, and 50% effaced that it was a little hard for people to picture. This is where the illustrations come into play.Then on Wed we had our 38 week ultrasound. Embry is still adorable and was trying to eat her hand except from the back of her hand instead of the finger side, hehe. The person performing the ultrasound was the same lady we had at the very first ultrasound. She estimated Embry's weight to be about 6lbs 7oz and said it could range anywhere from there to 8lbs. She also said the words, 'jumbo baby' which I still am not sure what she was getting at, but hello, you don't say that to a first time mom who will be delivering within the next 2 weeks! Anyhow, I had always thought Embry would be around 6.5 lbs at delivery, so I'm thinking if she's any bigger than 7.5 lbs then she will be sent directly to the corner to think about what she's done! Her fluid level was good at 9.9 and the US lady scanned over to Embry's head and was like "oh and look at that, there's your bladder" and point at this thing that's like a tiny thin little line that's smashed as flat as a pancake...well that certainly explains a few things! No wonder I've been getting up 5 times a night to pee. She also pointed out that Embry has chubby cheeks, feet, and hands and that she has 'Angelina Jolie lips' so I've since taken to replacing Tony's name with 'Angelina'. I made it very clear that I do not want to deliver a large baby, so the US lady suggested I go on walks, have sex, and eat a garlic oregano pizza. I'm fairly convinced that none of these suggestions actually induce labor, especially the last one, but rather the baby will come out when she's ready no matter what I do in the meantime. Having said that, I actually went for a walk today. Pretty sure all it did was irritate my sciatica though.

Today I had my last women's health physical therapy appointment. I might go back for a follow-up appt sometime after I deliver, but I'm definitely going to miss those massages in the meantime. I'd highly recommend seeing a women's health physical therapist if you are pregnant and experiencing pain, it really is worth it. She gave me a hand out about perineal massage which I guess I should start now to help avoid tearing during delivery. The front of my stomach is still numb, so the PT said Embry's probably still pinching a nerve and it should definitely get better after I deliver.

I'd really like to have my baby now, thanks. I feel ready and I can't imagine going for 2 more weeks (or more heaven forbid) but then again the idea that I'll have a baby at home for Thanksgiving seems completely surreal.

Me after the ultrasound
Little Feet
On the left is looking up her mouth and nose, on the right is her profile and she's trying to eat her hand, she's so cute!
This is a front on view of her faceHer girl parts once againHer cute little profile!

The 38 week belly shots, do make sure to enjoy the extra and more prominent stretch marks!



2 comments:

Kacy said...

"...the baby will come out when she's ready no matter what I do in the meantime."

Based on my own experience, I would say you are right on the money! Just relax and do things that you enjoy. It's hard to be patient, but remember you won't have much time to yourself after she's here, so take advantage of spending any day just the way you want to. Can't wait to meet her!

To A T said...

Oh my! It's getting so close!! 2 more weeks (or less) and you get to meet that sweet little girl :)