Thursday, November 13, 2008

Third round of gel

Hmm.... the third round of gel was administered at 5:40am. After Melinda checked me again and found that I am pretty much the same, although I am contracting a lot more. Being checked is becoming very unpleasant. Apparently the gel makes your cervix very sensitive, and the more you get the more sensitive it becomes. So pretty much the whole time she's checking me I'm trying to push myself backwards away from her. Now I have this fantastic ice pack, and it's helping alot.

She started the IV fluids, which are basically for hydration purposes, and drew a bunch of blood. She tried my right arm first, but couldn't get the catheter through the valve. So she moved on to the left arm and that one seemed to work fine.

The contractions are not pleasant but don't feel much worse than a moderate back ache. I think that from the bed being so hard I'm also feeling joint pain. So I might be confusing that with contraction pain. They'll check me again at 9:40, and hopefully start the epidural and petocin at that point.

Oh, and I asked Melinda what percentage of women poo while giving birth, and she said about 20%. She tries not to mention it if they are because they focus more on the fact that their pooping then trying to push the baby out. Just an FYI.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Poo is good, it means you're pushing properly!