Thursday, November 13, 2008

So Far, So Good

The first dose of gel was administered at 9:40 pm. After it got a chance to start working, I was contracting about every 2-5 minutes pretty consistently. I would describe the contractions as uncomfortable but not exactly painful. It basically feels like tightening and pressure, I wouldn't say it's really a cramping feeling but maybe that will come later. At 1 am Melinda came in and started monitoring me again. The blood pressure cuff was having definite issues as it would fill up all the way, then let a little air out, then fill up more than it had the first time and over and over again till it felt like my arm was going to fall off at the elbow. We got this issue fixed when she put the cuff on my other arm, then it seemed to work ok. My bp and Embry's heart rate are still good. The thing that is not so great is that this bed is hard as a rock. Is that really nice to do to someone who's about to give birth? No, I think not.

So, after being monitored for 20 minutes, Melinda checked me again and booyah...instead of my cervix being completely posterior (aka really high) it was inbetween that and anterior (low) so it was a much more pleasant experience this time! She said I'm a good solid 1 cm dilated and she gave me the second dose of gel at 1:40 am. I was then monitored for another hour in which my contractions still fairly consistent. She is coming back to check me and start my IV fluids at 5am. If my cervix still needs help then I'll get another dose of gel before they start the pitocin and my epidural, if not then they'll do both of those things at that point. Apparently I won't be checked once the pitocin is started until Dr. Sherman comes in which is 'sometime in the morning' ... very specific. She may or may not break my water when she checks me, so we'll see how that goes. Ok, that's all for now, I'm going to go brush my hair and try to go to sleep. :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay for Leatrice and Embry!!!!!!