Wednesday, November 12, 2008

We've been admitted

So... we arrived at the hospital at 4:30pm, after realizing that I may, or may not have turned off my curling iron. We walk into the women's center, give the receptionist my name, who calls the charge nurse who says that I'm not down for induction until 9:00pm. I say "Well, my doctor definitely told me 5:00pm." The receptionist lets me talk to the charge nurse on the phone, and she says that there is no one who could take me back right then so I should come back at 9:00.

We left and went home. Naturally I had already unplugged the curling iron. We decided to get something to eat, so we went to the Olive Garden. We got soup, pizza, and bread sticks. It was delic. Then we went to Park Mall to kill some more time. Their Christmas decorations were up and it was fantastic. And finally we arrived back at the hospital at 8:30pm.

We went back to Labor and Delivery where the nurse informed us that I had almost been re-scheduled because apparently it's very busy today. But I'm glad that was not the case. We got shown to our delivery room, which is room 1118 and I got changed into the hospital gown Tony's Aunt made me. The nurse who showed us in was very blunt (which naturally I enjoy) and she told me that during the actual delivery I would not want to be in the pretty hospital gown because 'any bodily fluid that can come out of a person will come out of a pregnant lady' and she also went on to name a bunch of the fluids she was talking about, good stuff. So looks like I'll be putting on the icky hospital gown at around 5am when they give me the epidural and start the pitocin.

Our nurse, named Melinda, is very nice and came in to ask a bunch of questions and do paperwork. She checked me and said that I'm still 1cm, 50% effaced, and -1 position but it could possibly be considered -2 since my cervix is soooo posterior. She emphasised how far back my cervix is and explained that my pelvis is extremely tight...these two things put together don't sound like a fun delivery, boo. She said the P-gel is inserted behind the cervix and it will soften, dilate, and lower the cervix...so she gave me hope. Then she inserted the gel with a tiny catheter and all that went fine. I was monitored for an hour afterwards and I am having contractions, but irregular and not strong, as usual. Embry's heartrate is doing really well in the 140s-160s and my bp is right around 115/70. The gel could cause contractions, but so far I'm not feeling anything significant.

So the monitors are off now until 1am when they get put back on and Melinda checks me again to see if there is progress and then insert the second dose of gel. I'm hoping my cervix will have at least moved down some because this whole 'checking' thing is getting a little painful. I think that's about all I have to say right now, so I will update later.

No comments: