Thursday, October 30, 2008

37 Weeks

Only 20 days left!

I went to the Dr on Tuesday (as usual) and was very concerned that I was 5 minutes late, so I went in there all ready to sign in and get to the bathroom for the urine test...well when I walk in and see there's no sign in sheet, the patient standing next to me says, 'Hi Leatrice, the doctor's not here.' Ha, so I look over and realize I'm standing next to Meredith, haha. Anyhow, we got to chat a little bit and we found out that Dr Sherman was out on a C-section that hadn't gone too well. The receptionist rescheduled me for the next day at 4pm, but it was at the wilmot office. So basically I got there at 3:45 and I thought that since they never get you in on time there anyhow, I could probably grab something to eat cuz I was starving, but then I thought maybe by chance they would get me in on time and I wouldn't be there. I went in at 3:45 and then waited until 5:30 to be called into a room. Not to mention the fact that it was freezing in there! I thought my feet were going to fall off the bottoms of my legs in protest! I saw the nurse practitioner (while outside my room door they were turning off all the lights and vacuuming the carpet, haha) who I hadn't seen since May cuz of going to the Rita location. It was nice to see her again and catch up but would have been nicer if I could have caught up with her a little closer to 4 pm. :) Embry's heartbeat was 161 which is typical for a girl's heart to get faster closer to delivery. My bp was 120/80, still normal and my GBS test was negative. The best part of all was the news following my internal exam (and btw, I'm still shocked at how incredibly uncomfortable those internal exams are, like verging on painful). First off, I found out that last week Dr. Sherman wrote down that I was 'very firm' and dilated 'a fingertip' (whatever that means, I guess it depends on how big your fingers are, haha) and then after my exam yesterday the nurse practitioner said I was 'firm' and '1 cm dilated' so I say...WOOOOOHOOOOOO! I mean I know 1cm is practically nothing, but the thing is, it's not nothing and I'll take any progress I can get! Although, Embry hasn't dropped down at all, so that's a bummer. I have incurred many more stretch marks on the bottom of my belly over the last week and the scale at the dr's showed I lost 3 lbs since last week...so I'm thinking bigger baby + smaller me = more stretch marks. The nurse practioner said that now my file will be sent over to TMC so it's waiting for me in case I go into labor and she also mentioned that she would expect me to deliver close to my due date since it's my first baby, but I'm still holding out hope for an earlier delivery. I was actually kinda hoping that we wouldn't make it to our next ultrasound (on the 5th), but it doesn't seem that hope will be realized, meh. If I had seen the regular doc I was gonna ask her how long she recommends waiting between pregnancies, so I'll make sure to ask that one next week. Having said all that, I think it's time for Embry to come out!

I've been slowly working on getting all the stuff from the baby shower put away and I think I'm about done now. Tony put the play yard together, but I need to iron that and the stroller, yes sounds weird, but they're wrinkled. He also assembled the diaper champ (which was incredibly simple). I organized the diaper depot and took all the toys out of their packaging, I put away most of the clothes, washed all the bottles, and put together the spinning drying rack. I got both my breast pump and the mobile in the mail this week and I really need to open those up to put them together and figure out how they work. I've been told it's a good idea to take the breast pump along to the hospital in case you can't get the baby to latch...any thoughts anyone? Speaking of the hospital, I've really been wanting to get my bag packed, but so far all I've got is a list of items that need to go in the bag. I'm sure the list will help me out a lot at the hospital hehe. I did manage to put shampoo, conditioner, and facewash into travel size containers and get 2 outfits ready for Embry (her coming home outfit and a comfortable outfit in case she throws a fit in the frilly one). I can't wait to put her cute little shoes on her cute little feet...baaaa it's going to be so much fun! I've also accomplished making a call list that includes who to call when I'm admitted and who to call after I've had the kiddo.

Other big news for this week is that I bought us tickets to go visit Tony's family in Maryland for Christmas! We fly out of Phoenix on Dec 16 and come back on Jan 6, so we'll be gone about 3 weeks, but we also plan to visit DC and NYC while we're out there since they're so close. One of my biggest dreams has always been to go ice skating in Rockefeller Center, so I'm super excited for that. Obviously I'm also excited for Embry to meet her great grandparents, great aunt, and great uncle and for all the fantastic pictures that will result. :) I'm realizing now though that I'm lacking in the 'really warm 0-3 month size' category of clothes for Embry, so I'm going to have to look into doing something about that. The most complicated part of this process was finding a non-stop flight that was a reasonable price. We ended up buying tickets on Southwest because of the following reasons: non-stop from phx to Baltimore, no fee for first checked bag, no fee for second checked bag, a free real snack and drink (mini pretzels/peanuts do not qualify as a real snack), and we can gate check the stroller and car seat. I'm nervous about taking a small baby on a plane ride (and nervous about going on one myself since my last experience was not so great) but I think that at that age she would most likely sleep the whole time (fingers crossed).

Ok enjoy the 37 week belly pics and my incredibly flat belly button!


4 comments:

JoAnn Nehs said...

I'LL BET YOU WILL REMEMBER TO TAKE A BLANKET OR SWEATER ALONG TO THE DR'S OFFICE NEXT TIME YOU GO. THAT'S AWFUL. YOU ARE LOOKING GOOD LEA, ONLY ABOUT 19 DAY'S NOW. THE LAST MONTH IS THE HARDEST ISN'T IT. BEEN A LONG 9 MONTHS. BUT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT. LOVE YOU MOM AND DAD

Robin said...

I cannot believe you waited so long! That sounds like my boy's pediatrician office. We always wait forever and get sick a couple days after visiting. I would recommend packing your bag. When I went in labor with Boaz I had my list printed and Canon's bag packed and maybe the car seat base strapped in and that was it. Even with the list I felt like I was forgetting stuff. With Canon, I had every thing packed the day I hit 36 weeks. I'll have to do that again this time! You might want to pack baby fingernail clippers. Sometimes they are born with pretty long nails. With the breast pumps.... I have not brought one to the hospital, but a friend of mine does, I think it's a personal choice. Just remember that she does not have to nurse right after she is born. She has been hooked up to a feeding tube for the last nine months and is not starving. Sometimes they latch on better when they've had a little time to get hungry. And, don't hesitate to use the lactation consultants. They are there to help you. Enjoy these last few weeks, they will go by quickly!

To A T said...

Holy cow!! 5:30! That's INSANE!! I would have left LOL, but I am not very patient!

You look great! Can't wait to see little Embry's pics here in a couple weeks!
I'm sending you some "eviction" vibes for Embry!

Rach said...

Ditto to the "I can't believe you waited so long" responses. But, then, I think, "what would I have done?" It is absolutely annoying, but you don't want to leave for fear that they would call your name 1 minute after you walked out the door. Plus, it is too exciting of an appointment to walk out on it when you've been looking forward to it for so long. Anyways, super excited for you. Yay for "progress". I know that makes you so happy.