Thursday, September 4, 2008

29 Weeks

Side note to preface my blog postings:  II'm writing this blog for a couple of reasons, but the main one would be that I want to document my pregnancy.  I want to have a place to look back and reflect on exactly how I ended up conceiving and exactly when and what happened during my pregnancy, labor, and delivery.  I want to remember everything and I know if I don't write it down, then I won't be able to remember all the details or how I felt as it was going on.  Everything doesn't just include the pretty, fun, or exciting things (of which there are so many, I am overwhelmed) but it also includes all the rest of what it is to be pregnant.  It may be what some would consider gross or personal, but to me, it's just what pregnancy entails and I can't feel ashamed of anything that would come along with the miracle that is my little Embry.  As I've said before, I would go through absolutely anything for my daughter and I'm so blessed to even be in the position to carry and nourish her for these short 9 months, therefore, nothing in this blog is meant to be a complaint.  Some of the things that go along with pregnancy are obviously not things that anyone would enjoy, but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world because all this will lead to a beautiful child.   

Another reason for the blog is to give others who may become pregnant a way to see what it is really like being pregnant.  Of course, each pregnancy is different, but before I became pregnant I sought out all the details because I'm a planner.  I'm sure there are many other women like myself who want to know EVERYTHING about being pregnant, especially the things that are not "OK" to talk about in our society.  So, that's what I write about, all the things that happen because if I were on the outside, I'd want to know.  Most importantly, I want there to be a resource for other women who have Lupus to see the ins and outs of a 'lupus pregnancy' because there is literally nothing written about what it is like to be pregnant with lupus.  I'd like to do my part to help out other women in my position and to make sure they know that it is very possible for a woman with lupus to have a normal or even a good pregnancy.  

In closing, (and I'm not sure why I have to say this, because I think it's a given) I, in no way, want you to read my blog if you don't like it.  I mean, I wouldn't want to read something that made me upset or hurt and I wouldn't want anyone else to do that either.  I won't censor myself because it is my blog.  It is my real thoughts and my real feelings and what is really going on concerning this pregnancy, I feel that if I were to censor what I say, then I would no longer be true to myself and therefore lying (which if you know me, is something I despise).  So I will continue to write about anything and everything that I feel is relevant and my hope is that you may find some humor or learn something or just be mildly entertained.  This is me and I'm proud that I can be so honest without feeling shame or guilt because of it.  

Now, for the real blog post:  Looks like I'm now 29 weeks pregnant, each week seems to pass faster than the one before, so I'm sure I'll have a cute little baby girl before I know it!  I'm so excited to see her and hold her in my arms and I can't wait until my ultrasound tomorrow either!  My parents are coming into town too to come along to the appointment since they haven't gotten to see an ultrasound as it's happening (just the print outs afterwards).  So basically, there is a lot to be excited about.  I had my gestational diabetes test on Friday, which went fine.  The orange stuff they have you drink tastes EXACTLY like an orange popsicle after it has melted into liquid.  I'm not sure why some would think that's not tasty, unless of course, you don't like orange popsicles to begin with but I thought it tasted fine.  Luckily, it was cold, cuz if it would have been warm that would have made it a little on the gross side.  When I went to my OB appt on Tues they didn't have the test results back yet, so they said they would call me if it was bad results otherwise I should consider the results "normal" if I don't hear from them.  So far, haven't heard from them, so let's hope this keeps up.  :)

My appt on Tues was rather uneventful.  My bp was around 125/76 which is fine and Embry's heartbeat was really easy to find this time and it was 130 bpm which is also fine.  I like how I can act like myself around my OB and not feel like an idiot.  I find that sometimes when I go to a doctor and I joke around and act like a goof (which is how I normally act) the doc will just look at me with a serious face and I'm like "haha, ok guess that wasn't funny" and then feel like a dork.  My OB is different, I act like normal (normal for me anyhow) and she actually seems to get it.  She gets when I'm joking and she, like me, thinks that blundtness is funny.  Point is, I feel very comfortable around her and I think I might actually feel a tinge of sadness if she's not the one who ends up delivering Embry.  Next OB appt is Sept 16 (since they're every 2 weeks now)...exciting!  Then our birthing class at TMC starts this Saturday which I am soooooo looking forward to!  How can two things that are sooooooo much fun (ultrasound AND birthing class) take place in the same week and I still be expected not to explode with excitement?!

I got the weight stats from the nurse while I was at the appt and here they are...
On 4/9 (6 weeks after conception):  157 lbs 
On 5/7:  151 lbs (according to them, the lowest weight) 
On 9/2:  160 lbs (total weight gain would be 3 lbs by their stats)

Here are my weight tracking stats...
2/28:  160 lbs (date of conception)
Lowest weight:  144 lbs  (-16 lbs)
9/4:  158 lbs (currently -2 lbs total) 

Oh and I read about a girl who was 1 lb under her starting weight when she delivered her baby and her baby was over 7 lbs, so the point is, if you're measuring on target that is what really matters.  I'm measuring right on target thus far, so it's all good!  

Oh my gosh, I almost forgot!  I went to a great place on Tuesday... MOPS.  It stands for Mothers of PreSchoolers and I loved it.  First of all, we did a craft (which is right up my alley), then we played a game (hello, love games), and then we got to meet lots of other women like us who are either pregnant or raising little ones, or both!  Oh and there was food too, which I always enjoy, and they have a place where you can put baby/kid stuff you don't need anymore and others can take what they might need...hi, great idea!  Also, a good friend of mine from Young Marrieds also goes to MOPS and it's always fun to hang out and chat.  We're not in the same discussion group, but we'll definitely make some time to catch up at each meeting.  :)  Oh and we've decided that her 14 month old son (who's cute as a button, I might add) will be the future husband to Embry (who will also be adorable, I mean come on, how could she not be?!)  There are 2 other little boys (also, extremely cute) who are part of the YM group who were in the running until I realized that if Embry chose either of them then my little girl would leave me and move to a different state to be with her man, and well, I just can't allow that to happen!  Sorry, but I'm already too attached to let her go!  :)

I was thinking about my labor and delievery the other day and I came to a conclusion.  The conclusion is this:  at most, it will consist of a couple of days of my life.  Yes, it will no doubt be painful, but it will end eventually and what do a few days matter in the whole scheme of things?  I've been in what I'd call extreme pain many times and it never lasts forever.  Bonus with the pain of L&D is that I get the gift of a baby at the end of it all.  So really, it will be a "better" kind of pain that what I've experienced thus far in life and I don't think I need to feel anxious about that.  There are a million things that could go 'wrong' but I'm assured that God is in control of this situation and whatever is meant to happen is what will happen.  As with everything else in life, it doesn't matter how much I worry about it, the outcome will be the same either way.  It will all be ok...I'm sure of it. 

Update:  I just got in the mail the most AMAZING gift!!!  Tony's aunt Terri made me my very own hospital gown!!!!!  It is the cutest thing I've ever seen, I mean, it's just wonderful!  I keep saying to Tony how great it is and how in awe I am that someone would love me and my little baby enough to go to all that trouble, I really don't think I deserve it, and I am soooo thankful!!!  Not only is it completely adorable, but it fits perfect, and it's got snaps up the back and staps on both sleeves for extra functionality...it's amazing!  She also made a matching blanket for baby Embry and then 2 hair scrunchies that match as well.  Thank you aunt Terri, it is really greatly appreciated and I will treasure it forever.  :)  

Ok 29 week pics, then pics of my present!  
 

3 comments:

To A T said...

I just wanted to let you know I appreciate your candidness here. It's one of the reasons I love reading your blog :) I've followed you from IV and I think you are going to be an awesome mom to little Embry ;-) And that hospital gown is just too cute!!

Rach said...

Okay, first, you know I think it is ridiculous that you even have to preface YOUR blog with a "if you don't like what you read, you don't have to read it" statement. But, nonetheless. I love how candid you are. You know you crack me up. So glad you like MOPS and thanks for the sweet comment about little buddy.
And that gown! I'm jealous. Do you think Aunt Terri might want to go into the business? I might want one of those for next time around. :) That would even be nice for when you come home from the hospital. Awesome. And, that cute matching blanket. Adorable. Simply adorable.

Robin said...

I am jealous! I love that gown. I hope you feel pretty in it!