Thursday, September 11, 2008

30 Weeks

Only 69 days to go!  

We went to our first birthing class last Saturday at TMC.  I thought we were going to be late, but we were the 2nd couple to arrive out of 9 couples total.  We got to talk to 2 other couples more extensively than the others and one of the women I was talking to has rhuematoid arthritis, so we got to discuss our concerns regarding labor, delivery, and autoimmune disorders.  Also both of these women I spoke with were having their baby showers after the birthing class that day, which made me wonder if either they were having theirs early or I will be having mine a little on the late side.  I'll be 36 weeks at the time of the baby shower, so I'd still have a week until full term, I think we're safe.  The instructor was very nice, a little eccentric, but nice.  She had a bunch of life size illustrations of what's going on from neck to thigh inside of a woman's body while she's pregnant.  Everytime she would pick up a new one she would hold it up to her body so it looked like we were seeing her insides, it was pretty funny.  If we get there early this week I'm going to have Tony take a picture of me holding one up to myself.  :)  Our first activity was introducing ourselves, saying our EDD, and whether we're having a boy or a girl.  Surprisingly there were only 2 couples having boys and almost everyone was due around mid November.  There was one girl who was already 34 weeks (her tummy was a lot bigger than the rest of ours) and she was there with another girl who I assumed was a friend or sister until they introduced themselves and said "Our estimated due date is..."  After that I was pretty sure it was a lesbian couple, but definitely not going to ask about that one!  Then there was this one girl that was annoying me, but I think that was more my issue than hers.  I think it was because she seemed to be purposely letting everyone know through her actions that she needed help, which if you know me, is something I avoid at all costs.  Although this could have just been my interpretion and been completely wrong, so who knows, but it also didn't help that she kept asking a million questions.  Then we broke into groups and one group wrote the joys of pregnancy, one wrote the gripes of pregnancy, and the one I was in wrote the concerns/fears of pregnancy.  My number one concern was PAIN haha and it seemed that all my other concerns kind of revolved around that.  We found out that the early stage of labor (dilating from 0-3 centimeters) generally takes between 12-16 hours and  you can't go to the hospital until your contractions are 5 minutes apart or less for 1 hour or more.  The thing I didn't know before was what each station is (like -5 through +5, I think).  Tony learned how to time contractions and what to do while I'm having contractions (basically massage my back, woohoo!).  Then we watched a graphic video of different women giving birth naturally.  I was a little surprised that some of the couples there were completely grossed out by the video, I wonder how they'll react when it's happening to them or their wives.  All in all it was a good experience, but 9am is darn early for me to be out and about!  I felt really bad because one of the guys there works 3rd shift so he had just gotten off work and gone to the class and he was literally falling asleep and his wife had to keep poking him, hehe.  This Saturday we get to take a tour of the maternity ward and women's center which is exciting.  I've already seen most of it (because I was there for my friend Jessica's delivery) but Tony hasn't seen much of it.  I'm going to have to write a list of things to ask regarding the hospital, such as, is there internet access in the rooms or out in the waiting area?  Are we allowed to take pictures the entire time except for just the part where the baby is coming out?  Are there any outlets that we are allowed to plug into?  Do I need to give them a copy of my living will beforehand?  Oh my gosh, I almost forgot the best part of the class!  The instructor had this visual aid that was funny, yet probably quite informative for the men.  It was a turtleneck sweater with a stuffed baby, placenta, and cloth 'cervix' inside with the neck of the sweater playing the part of the birth canal/vagina.  The funny part was that as she was demonstrating how the baby is born, she would put the sweater right near her pelvis and then start making grunting/pushing noises and she was pushing the baby out with her hands.  I gave 
Tony a few interesting looks as this was going on and it was quite difficult not to laugh out loud!  

In other news, I've been putting stretch mark lotion on my tummy for a while now, but then noticed that on my hips (where I already have stretch marks which are now white cuz they're old) my old stretch marks are expanding upward.  Not a big deal, but I hadn't even thought to put the lotion on my hips too so I've started doing that as well.  I actually think that I'd rather have them on my hips than my tummy, but I'm guessing before this is all said and done, I'll have them in both places.  One piece swimming suits, here I come!  :)  

After discussing with numerous people, I'm fairly certain that I am having braxton hicks contractions.  My stomach is tighter at certain times than it is at other times, which is basically what I've heard BH described as.  I also found out that they might be contributing to my back pain because when the stomach tightens the baby gets pushed into my back (due to her position) which would cause pain...makes sense.  

The nursery is almost complete.  I got 2 of the wall shelves and I think I'm going to get 2 more instead of 1 more (which was the original plan) to make it even on both sides of the window.  I have yet to hang up the 2 that I did get, but I plan to get that done today.  Then my mom finished the curtains for the window which look absolutely amazing!  Everytime I open the door I'm stunned at how beatiful they are and they definitely give the nursery a finished look.  Thanks mom and next time I won't buy silk!  I also rearranged the room and I like how the furniture looks much better now and I framed 2 of Embry's newest ultrasound pics and a pic of me and Tony with my belly showing.  Right now the electrician is here wiring the nursery and office for ceiling fans, so this weekend Tony and I will be assembling the fans and mounting them as well as installing the new fan control switch plates.  Wish us luck! 

So for the pictures I was going to start adding in the straight on front shot every week, but then I took one halfway off to the side last night and could not believe how huge my stomach looks!  So of course I had to add in that one at the end too.  
I'm pregnant!



5 comments:

Robin said...

Braxton hicks are real contractions! Don't let them tell you otherwise! :) They might not make you dialate yet, but they are getting your body ready. You might want to try some stretches to help your little one turn, back labor in NOT your friend!

drfrancisco said...

You better add the stretch mark cream to your boobs and inner thighs. I had no idea I would get such awful stretch marks in those areas. UGH!

JoAnn Nehs said...

YES YOU ARE LOOKING MUCH BIGGER.LOVE YOUR STORY ABOUT THE BIRTHING CLASS. SOUND LIKE A REAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE. THEY SAY KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. THANKS FOR THE NICE COMMENT ABOUT THE CURTAINS MAKES ALL THE HARD WORK WORTH IT. LOVE YOU MOM ENJOY YOUR BLOG

Rach said...

Yah, I agree with Danielle. I got stretch marks on one boob and one outer thigh. I would never have thought to use stretch mark cream there (not that I used it at all), especially since I didn't think my boobs "stretched much" anyways. OH well, live and learn. Lotion up and let us know if it actually works. Love the pics. Isn't that the pink top you made fun of when we were at Target? You are too funny. It looks cute. I only wish I'd been at your birthing class to hear/watch your instructor!

Esteban said...

As always, I am super excited for you guys. Thank you for the update. And as my wife said, use the lotion everywhere. In my opinion, you should pretty much lather your body! lol. Seriously, you don't expect them to appear where they do.

See you all next week!