Thursday, September 18, 2008

31 Weeks

Only 62 days left until 40 weeks!  I'm filled with so much excitement about meeting my little girl, I can barely stand it!  I'm feeling much more confident about my baby care skills and the ability to still be able to get things done with a baby after babysitting Haley (my friend Kim's baby) this week.  Granted, I only watched her from 6:30am - 4:30pm, so I didn't experience the 'overnight' aspect of mothering, but I think I got a pretty good taste for what it will be like with Embry.  On Tuesday I was brave and took Haley with me to MOPS and then straight to my OB appointment and it all went really well.  She was awake for half of MOPS and then slept through the rest of our trip, so it was easy as can be.  I'm still a little overwhelmed by the thought of having more than one young child at once, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  :) 

We had our 2nd birthing class on Saturday.  The 'lesbian' couple wasn't there, so maybe she had her baby or maybe she just didn't care for the class.  The girl that I found annoying continued to annoy me...just asking a bunch of questions and such.  The life-size laminated illustrations were not there, which was a tad disappointing, and Marjorie (the instructor) didn't make any grunting noises this time, but we did get a tour of the women's center.  I thought it was a lot of fun and rather informative.  The best part was standing outside of the nursery windows for about 5 minutes watching a new baby discover the world.  When we first walked up and saw the baby, I leaned over to Tony and said something I've said a million times before..."I want one!"  Then it hit me that I don't have to pray and wish and hope for that anymore because I will have one.  You can imagine that this sent me to the verge of tears, but it is still awe inspiring to me that I am going to have a baby.  

I had an OB appt on Tuesday which was fairly standard stuff.  I asked the nurse why they never take my temperature and told her that I normally run a slight fever because of lupus and she said that they don't check anyone's temperatures unless they're sick...well umm, isn't that what I just said?  Whatever, I guess if they're not at all concerned then I shouldn't be either right?  Anyhow, when the nurse weighed me I saw that I hadn't gained any weight since the last appt (only 2 weeks ago, but at the rate my belly is growing I figured I would have gained some)  and then when the Dr comes in she asks how I'm doing etc then goes "you haven't gained any weight, are you eating?"  I had to laugh, that's just so hilarious to me because I've never eaten more my entire life than I'm eating right now.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm always in the mood to eat.  In fact, whenever someone says 'I'm not hungry'  I say 'being hungry is not a prerequisite for eating!'  Anyhow, I told her that yes I'm eating and eating probably more than I should be.  So she measured my stomach and said I'm measuring right on target still, so the lack of weight gain is nothing to be worried about, not that I was concerned anyway.  :)  She said that my gestation diabetes test result was 95 and it needed to be under 180, so definitely don't have GD.  My bp was still in a good range, like 118/75 or so and the baby's heartbeat was nice and strong.  I was telling her about my back pain, how it's getting worse, mostly on the right side under my shoulder blade and down through my sciatica and I said I was taking quite a bit of tylenol, which she said was fine, but it doesn't really work either.  Then she did something doctors NEVER do and offerred to write me a prescription for percocet for when the pain is really bad.  I was like, um, yes please!  Not because I like pain pills (I actually hate them, most of them make me sick) but because when you're hurting like that, it's nice to have an option of taking something that will actually work.  As a side comment, if you ever ask a dr for pain medication, just wait for 3 seconds and watch them look at you like you're a drug addict/dealer...it's great fun.  Sooo, she said if I don't use all of them, then they will be good for after I give birth.  Good point.  I asked her if there was any sort of schedule for when the 5 different doctors are on duty for deliveries and she said that it varies, that they each are on call different days each week.  She wanted me to get another ultrasound around 32 weeks (just to keep checking the baby's growth which is normal thus far) and I got a call today that it is scheduled for Oct 1 at 7:15 am.  Yes that's early, but this way Tony won't have to miss any work to be there and *bonus* McDonalds breakfast.  :)  

I finally got the nursery all cleaned up and everything in order (after a horribly horrible ceiling fan installation, ask if you want details, it's a story in itself)  and I took pictures!  My mom has offered to make a  wall shelf to go above the changing table which will hold all of Embry's stuffed animals, so at the moment that wall looks a little bare.  I'm also wavering on whether or not to get a glider/recliner (it HAS to recline) for the corner that has the corner shelves.  The issue is that they are sooo expensive and I'd get one used, but normally the used ones don't recline (I think it might be a new feature).  Also, most of them come in microfiber, but I hate microfiber and then I'd want it in dark brown, but that's not as easy to find as one would think.  I've heard that it's a very good idea to have a chair/rocker in the nursery, so I feel inclined to get one, but there are a couple of other things that we need that are more important (ie travel system, play yard, bottles, high chair, breast pump, etc).  Anyhow, the pictures are in this facebook album.

In other news, I realized that my boppy is FANTASTIC for lumbar back support, so woohoo! 





2 comments:

JoAnn Nehs said...

I just love reading your blogs, you are getting quite a belly there, but are looking good. I'm so happy that everything is going well and that you are so happy. Keep up the good work. I am also excited to meet our new granddaughter. can't wait. I love you love mom

Robin said...

I say go for the chair! You are not going to want to go up and down stairs in the middle of the night. Also, it is easy to fall asleep while rocking a nursing, for you and baby. I have my glider in the boy's room now, just for special story times and when the baby arrives. It is a good buy!