Thursday, June 17, 2010

Update #2 (18 weeks)

Went in for my OB appt this morning. Tony came home from work and picked me up. The dr measured my uterus and listened for the heartbeat with the Doppler. She found the heartbeat pretty quickly after Nola kicked the monitor a couple times. Tony breathed a sigh of relief.

I asked the dr a bunch of questions. Here's what we found out. The bright red bleeding was most likely the edge of the placenta separating from the cervix as the uterus grew or could have been caused by some trauma. She didn't seem very concerned about the blood clots because now I'm having dark brown spotting which would indicate that the clots are slowly dissolving. She said I could gradually increase my activity too. Swimming, walking, picking up Embry are all ok as long as there's no more bright red blood. If there is, then it's back on bed rest. Basically I shouldn't do anything to jar, jiggle, or disturb my placenta as the uterus continues to grow.

I asked her if she could give me a percentage of people who have this same issue and have a good outcome. She said that knowing what we know now and having the time passed that has, she'd estimate I have a 99% chance of a good outcome. So hallelujah! That is such a relief!

I'm going in again in a week to hear the heartbeat and just check in with the dr. It didn't take much convincing for her to push up my ultrasound because she wants me to have peace of mind. So we should be going in for another one around July 6 which will be 3 weeks after the last one. Basically it will be to check if the clots are shrinking and mostly to see if the placenta has moved away from the cervix.

She also said my lack of weight gain is fine since the uterus and baby Nola are measuring right on target. She asked if I was eating a lot and I reassured her that, yes, I am eating a TON of food. Tony also agreed, haha. He knows I can really pack it away if I want to!

So all in all, things are going really well and we couldn't be happier. I feel so blessed.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Glad to hear everything is ok for now! I have only gained 3 pounds this pregnancy, but I had extra from Josh and same here, Zach is weighing in right where he needs to be so no worries. So glad your ultrasound got moved up! Praying for you and Tony and Nola and Embry!