Saturday, January 24, 2009

Week 10

10 Weeks old, 1-24-09

Embry went to church for her second time on Sunday and was very well behaved. She stirred a little bit, but basically slept the whole time. The people sitting behind us said that she smiled at them and she was very well behaved. She also smiled at Deb on Wednesday at YM and at Tony's mom last night and today, so she's getting much better at smiling.

On Tuesday Embry and I went to MOPS again. I decided to take the stroller this time because it was so hard to carry the infant carseat last time and it was much easier. She slept through the first 2 hours or so, then sat on my lap for a while, then I fed her. While I was feeding her in the 'cry room' the janitor came in because he wanted to hang up a clock and a picture, so then I finished the feeding in a bathroom stall...which I'm getting pretty good at. We then went out to lunch with Rachael, Cody, Kacy, and Drew and Embry slept through the whole thing. From there it was off to Dr. Morris's office for Embry's 2 month check up.

The verdict is...Embry does not like shots!

She weighed in at a whopping 11lbs 4oz which is almost exactly the 50th percentile and she was 23 inches long. The dr said that her spitting up is normal and should get better with age and since she is gaining weight it's nothing to worry about. I told him about her diaper rash (which is now gone) and he said to stop using the lamisil because it's not a long term solution and that we could keep using the desitin. I told him that the rash would come back, but now I'm not so sure it will because she isn't pooping in spurts anymore so she doesn't need her diaper changed nearly as often. The nurse came in and gave her 2 shots in her right leg and 1 in her left and I got to hold her legs still, but I ducked down behind the exam table so she couldn't see me when she got poked, haha. Of course she screamed bloody murder, it was quite deafening. Then I nursed her for a few minutes and she was fine for like 5 hours at which point I was out grocery shopping. I called Tony to see how many packs of cream cheese he needed and he said that Embry was crying/screaming uncontrollably. I bought some children's tylenol for the outrageous price of $10 and gave her some right when I got home and nursed her. Everytime she would move her legs she would start crying again even if she was in the middle of eating...that must have been pretty painful because eating is serious business to Embry. Finally she fell asleep, but in the meantime I felt sooo bad for her. She slept just fine that night, which was a great relief as well. A few days afterwards a bruise showed up on her right leg, so the nurse must have gotten her pretty good, poor baby.

This week she's started to laugh (or I consider it laughing, it's kind of a squealing laugh thing) and actually grab/grasp her toys instead of just hitting them with her fist. I got her some toys that were on clearance at Target. One is one of those excersize gym things and she seems to like that quite a bit and then a star toy that goes inside her crib that she hasn't tried out yet. I also got a snugli carrier that was on clearance which we have to try and see if she likes it. I'm guessing it will be nearly impossible for me to carry her in it with my back, but Tony could easily use it. The real question is, will he use it? They always have a picture of the happy guy toting around his baby on the outside of the box, but I think in reality most men don't like to strap a baby onto their chest. We shall see.

Oh wait, big milestone for Embry...she's sleeping through the night! Woohoo! Her normal sleep time (unless she has an off night) is 10pm to 6am. Then she'll wake up and eat every 3 hours until she's fully awake around 10:30-11am. I'm enjoying this much more than waking up every 2-3 hours when she was a newborn. That was extremely hard for me and the reason why I told Tony we were only having one child. That and the crying when there is seemingly nothing wrong, but that's pretty much subsided as well. So, yes, we will probably have more kids. At least one more, but then I think how easy it would be to just have the one...and how much cheaper.

Grandma Dorothea came down from Phoenix last night and babysat Embry while Tony and I went on a date to the Gaslight Theater. We all had lots of fun and when we came home to find little Embry fast asleep in Grandma's arms, so cute.

Here are the most recent pictures of Embry:
Album 10
Album 11

3 comments:

Coco said...

The picture for this weeks post is adorable! Love it!

Robin said...

Albert loves carrying our babies in our Bjorn. Hopefully Tony will enjoy the cuddling as well!

JoAnn Nehs said...

Leatrice I finally got to catch up on all the blogs that I have missed they are just wonderful and the pictures are soooooo cute of our little grandaughter. Love you both so much. love mom see you Monday.