Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 40

40 Weeks Old on 8/21/09

Tony and I took her to get her 9 month pics taken at the picture people on Friday. I definitely like how they turned out at her 6 month session better. I definitely think it makes a big difference which photographer you get. I painted her toenails beforehand, it was horrible. I don't think I'll be trying that again. The couch now has some lovely pink accents. I couldn't do it when she was sleeping because she tucks her legs up underneath her and she would have woken up if I pulled one out. Back to the photo session, it was also much easier to get her to smile when she was 6 mos old. Now she just stares at new people in bewilderment with her mouth hanging open. I made the mistake of not bringing along a comfortable pair of shoes to change into and bonus, I didn't even wear my shoes for any of the pictures. We got some cute shots though all in all. The photog had me sign a release saying she could use Embry's pics for her portfolio and as possible stock shots to use in the stores display frames. I think it would be fun to go into the mall and see my little girl's smiling face hanging up for all to see.
The first 5 are the ones that I bought:


And the others I liked but didn't buy:


Sunday we had a family bbq so Tony could use his new smoker. He made some fantastic pulled pork sandwiches! Jen (my sis), Jason, and Colter came over along with my parents and my brother was already here. We took some family pictures which turned out pretty cute. I put Embry's stuffed duck that quacks up by the camera while it was on self timer in order to get the kids to look at the camera. Embry and Colter got to play together which was really fun to watch. Colter didn't seem too interested in Embry, but very interested in her toys and Embry was so excited to play with Colter. She kept grinning at him from ear to ear. So cute! I got some really cute pictures of them together. Then we took them out in the driveway to play with sidewalk chalk. Embry really enjoyed eating hers and Colter tapped his on the pavement for a while. I, however, drew a beautiful butterfly.

I took Embry in for her 9 month check up on Monday. Here are her stats:
Weight: 18lbs 7oz (about 35th percentile)
Head Circ: 44cm (50th percentile)
Length: 29.5" (97th percentile!)
So basically she's long and lean with an average sized melon. While we were there she waved bye bye to the nurse which was amazing because up until that point she would almost always just sit and stare at your in wonderment as you tried to get her to wave on command. I was so proud. The dr said that he thinks she might have a heart murmur which he's sending her to a cardiologist for in order to have an echo cardiogram done. I'm not worried about that at all, kids can outgrow that and it seems like everyone has a heart murmur. I asked the dr about switching her from breast milk to whole milk when she turns 1 in order to ttc and he said it would be fine. Here's another thing which is kinda gross, but pertains to ttc so I'll go ahead and say it. You know how my big toenail and my pinky toenail on my right foot have been falling off forever? Well, I went to get a pedicure while they were in the process of coming off and ended up getting toenail fungus on both toenails from it. Eww. So, the dr said he can't give me the (oral) medicine to get rid of it until I stop breastfeeding. I asked him at the appt how long I have to take that stuff to get rid of the fungus and if we can ttc while I'm taking it. The answers were 3 months and no. So that puts a kink into things. I told him I thought that was retarded. Bleh, I'm already stressing about how long it will take us to get conceive again and now an extra 3 months is added on. Oh well. My dad swears that he got rid of toenail fungus by using vicks vapor rub on it. I might as well try it. The dr said none of those topical 'cures' you see on tv work at all, plus they're expensive, so I won't go that route. After stewing about it for a few days, I'm wondering if I should just use formula for the next 3 months, take the medicine, then be ready to ttc in Nov. If we want to have our kids 2 years apart, we'd have to conceive end of Feb which is highly unlikely in either scenario (stop bfing now or when Embry's 1). Anyone have any thoughts? Oh, to be able to get pregnant when you want, that would be the life! Anyhow, back to Embry...he said otherwise she's in good working order. :)

Last night I discovered that Embry is getting another tooth! It's the one on the top next to the front teeth on the right side. It's only poking through very slightly, enough to feel a little tooth through the gum when you run your finger over it. She's been doing this new 'smile' thing where she kind of hisses and throws her head back and shows all her upper gums. It's hilarious and when she does it, you can see all the little white teeth under her gums which is what prompted me to check again. This is what her new 'smile' looks like:


Other exciting developments this week are that Embry learned how to go up the stairs. I've let her get as far as about 6 stairs up. Now we really have to watch her when she's downstairs cuz she'll be halfway up the stairs in the blink of an eye. She can successfully wave (like I said before). She does the sign language for milk, which is super cute :) Now she can walk just holding onto one of your hands. She's very cautious and wobbly, but she's getting better.

2 comments:

JoAnn Nehs said...

Sounds like you have a couple of options. I'm sure you will make the best decision. I would give the Vicks a try thou.
The new smile Embry has is so funny. I'm glad you put that picture on the blog. Bueatiful pictures from the Picture People. Love them.

Morgan Owens said...

Her pcitures turned out beautiful! I can't get over how precious she is! Your family is beautiful! :)