Thursday, August 6, 2009

Week 38

38 Weeks old on 8/7/09


Embry started clapping last Friday. Tony was sitting down on the floor with her and she just started clapping. I've been trying to teach her how to clap for a while, but she'd never done it on her own before. Then she went crawling around the house stopping every few feet to sit and clap, she was so proud of herself. Now she claps just if you say the word 'clap' which is amazing to me that she comprehends a word.

Embry could probably stand up for a few seconds without holding onto something, but she won't let us let go in order to find out. Whenever we try to let go, she sits down. When she pulls herself up, she pretty much doesn't use her arms at all, but just holds onto things to feel safe. Oh and everytime we open the fridge, she crawls over real quick and grabs stuff off the bottom shelf in the door. To begin with she would always grab the Siriacha (hot sauce) but now she's moved onto the barbeque sauce. Needless to say, she's 'cruising' all over the place. She walks all around the coffee tables, couches, toys, people...pretty much anything she can grab onto. Even the inside rim of the toilet while I had my back turned, ew ew ew, but they say your toilet is cleaner than your sink right? :/ A new development is that she can sit down from a standing position (while she's holding onto something) which she wouldn't do before this week. She used to just stand there and whine until you would remove her from whatever she was holding onto and place her on the floor. Seems like she might be a bit on the cautious side, much like her mother.

Embry and I went over to my friend Jessica's house on Saturday for a BBQ. It was cute to see her girls play with Embry and I'm amazed to see how grown up her kids are already. It seems like they were just born a little while ago and already they are 3 & 1/2 and almost 2! We went swimming and ate and then I went to the Foothills mall. I wore a skirt I normally don't wear because it's got an uneven hem (on purpose) but it allows the skirt to almost take flight in a breeze. I had my swimming suit on underneath to begin with but changed out of that after it was wet. Unfortunately it was quite a windy day. Between trying to get all my stuff out of the car, transport Embry from the carseat to the stroller, and trying to catch the stroller before it rolled across the parking lot, I'm pretty sure I mooned about 10 innocent passerbys. Once I had all my stuff, I quickly high tailed it inside only to realize I forgot my 20% off coupon for Carter's in the car! I decided rather than brave the wind again and risk more embarrasement, I'd go to Carter's first and luckily there wasn't anything worth buying anyway.

So I ran a bunch of errands the other day with Embry and we went to Trader Joe's to get some curry sauce. To begin with as I was putting Embry in a cart some lady handed me a couple of those sanitizing wipes that they have at the front of grocery stores and said something like, 'we wouldn't want anything to happen to someone as precious as that.' Yes, I guess it's a nice gesture, but if I want to santize my cart then I will, if I don't, then I won't. Anyhow, I wiped my cart down and then went inside. As I'm almost done shopping Embry starts squealing her excited squeal (which I decided I wasn't going to let bother me anymore) and there are 2 guys stocking wine a couple feet away. One of them turns to the other and says, "doesn't that make you want to have a kid?" Of course said sarcastically like my child is throwing a tantrum or something. I swear I almost said, 'hello?! I can hear you!' but since I'm non-confrontational, I bit my tongue and kept perusing the juice and listening to them ramble on about how they don't want children. Ugh.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh my goodness! She is so beautiful! And she looks like such a happy girl!! How fun!

JoAnn Nehs said...

I always look so forward to reading your blogs, your writing is interesting, humerous, and just fun to read. I'm glad you finally decided that you would not worry about what other people think or say. good for you. Some people are just rude and nasty.