Friday, May 15, 2009

Week 26

26 weeks old on 5/15/09


Embry turned 6 months old yesterday! I can't believe it's already been half a year since we welcomed her into our lives. She's such a miracle and a blessing, I'm happier than I could have ever imagined. Ironically enough as I write this she's sitting in her swing crying because she doesn't want to go to sleep. Being the push-over than I am, I just gave into her demands and picked her up. She smells so good.

She had her 6 month check-up yesterday as well. Here's what the dr said: she is definitely thrush-free, she does not have a cold but instead has seasonal allergies (to this she says, 'thanks dad'), and she has a fungal diaper rash. We started using the nystatin cream he prescribed for it last night and it's practically gone already. She got 3 shots. 2 in her right leg and one in her left. I held her down on the exam table while the nurse gave her the shots, but I was out of her eyesight. She was quite upset when she was getting the shots, but as soon as I picked her up afterward she was fine and even smiled at the nurse again. The dr thought her tongue fetish was particularily funny as well as the fact that people compare her to Gene Simmons because of it. She's my little rock star! I'm convinced that when she's older instead of 'Kiss' she's going to start a band called 'Suck'...get it? Because she sucks on stuff? I crack myself up.

Here are her stats:
Weight: 16lbs 1oz, 50th percentile
Height: 26 & 3/4", about 80th percentile
Head Circumference: 42 cm, about 45th percentile

On Friday Tony's mom and sister came down for the weekend. Tony's mom watched Embry that night while Tony, Allison, and I went to the Gaslight to see 'Harlie's Angels' which was hilarious as always. Saturday we took Embry in the pool for the first time. I had dipped her feet in before and she would cry a bunch cuz it was numbingly cold. So I put her little swimmer on (dang those things are expensive!) and her sparkly blue bikini, took a bunch of pics, and then went out to the pool. Tony video taped, Tony's mom took regular pics, and Allison and I tried to put Embry in her floatie outside of the pool so I could just plop her in all at once. That was interesting in itself, but once I put her in, she was really really mad! I watched the video back and I was like, 'jeez why didnt' someone stop me?!' Anyhow, my thought process was that after a few minutes in the water she would become acclimated to it and then all would be fine. That's pretty much what happened. After about 5 minutes of crying she just all of a sudden stopped. She whined after that for a while till I took her out of the floatie and held her, then she was happy. She also enjoyed 'standing' on the top step. She got tired midway through and we put her bouncer in the shade so she fell asleep in that. My friend Jamie came down from Phoenix too, so later that day we went to the mall. Tony's mom got Embry a hat and some sunglasses and I got her another swimming suit, a one piece. That night we played Quelf and Embry was very sleepy from her time out in the sun.

Sunday we got up very early to get ready for Embry's dedication at church. It was also Mother's day and Tony made us all breakfast. When I came downstairs there were cards for me on the dining room table and Tony had put my new camera up there with a bow on it too. It was cute. My parents came over early and rode with us to church. We put Embry in the nursery and gave everyone instructions on how to use the cameras during the dedication. The dedication went very smoothly. Embry hardly made a peep, which is odd for her, and she looked super cute in her pretty green dress. On that subject, I was having a really hard time trying to figure out what Embry should wear for the dedication. She had already worn her pretty purple dress on Easter, she had another fancy dress in 3-6 month size but it was a little Christmas-esc and I didn't have good matching shoes or a hair accessory, and if I were to buy a new dress then I run the risk of another baby wearing the same dress on the stage. Then I realized that I had bought the most beautiful fancy baby dress about 2 years ago when The Children's Place had all the dresses on clearance for $4.25 each. Only problem was it was in a 6-9mo size, but I tried it on her, and it fit perfectly! I wanted a fancier looking headband to go with it, so I made one. I really like how it turned out and it was my first time trying to make one by sewing it, normally I used the hot glue gun. The other issue was I didn't have a pair of white dress shoes in the right size, but I used some that were a little snug, but we made them work! Anyhow, I'm really glad with how the dedication turned out and we got a lot of pictures.

Afterwards we came back here, got more pictures, and Tony grilled chicken, ribs, and corn on the cob. My friend Anna and her girls and our friends the Fransiscos came over. We ate some delicious food and then went swimming. Embry really enjoyed swimming the second time around. She was so adorable because I put her in the floatie and she just laid back with her hat and sunglass on and played with her keys as she floated around the pool for a few hours. I'm so glad that she likes the pool! I'm thinking of enrolling her in a swim class.

Tuesday I took her to the picture people for some 6 month pictures. They turned out soooooooooooooo cute! I had such a hard time deciding which ones to buy and ended up spending way too much money, but it was worth it. We did pictures in her dedication dress, in a diaper cover, and in her tutu and matching headband. I used the nursing room at the park mall for the first time while we were there waiting for the pictures to be processed and what I figured would happen is what happened. About 5 minutes into my nursing session, someone knocked on the door wanting in. One nursing room for an entire mall is just about as good as having no nursing room. Embry was getting fussy as I was picking out pictures (because it took forever) but then finally she fell asleep and I got to do a little window shopping. Here are some of the pictures. The ones on the right are the ones that I bought, the ones on the left are others that I liked.













A new thing she's doing is that she's able to get from laying down to sitting up when you hold her legs down. Also she's pulling her legs up under her and trying to crawl, but she just ends up going backwards. It's kind of funny.

2 comments:

Ella said...

Oh my goodness! Your daughter is absolutely adorable - those are the sweetest photos!!

Coco said...

I love the tutu photos!!!!