Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Benlysta #2

Everything went swimmingly with my second infusion! They did have to stick me 3 times to get the IV started, which didn't feel very good, but once it was placed everything was fine. If benlysta seems to help then I will seriously think about getting a port placed to avoid all these difficult IVs and blood draws. At first I thought a port was like the pic line I had when I was in the hospital, but it's nothing close to that...except for the fact that it serves the same general purpose. It would be like a little button they insert under my skin into a vein/artery (not sure which) and then when I need to have an IV or blood draw they just poke into the port under my skin and they're in. Seems easy enough and probably a lot less hassle in the long run. Anyhow a funny thing happened today! I posted a link to my fundly page on this Rita ranch and vail community board on Facebook a few weeks ago and one of the people who commented on it said she was an infusion nurse at one of the infusion centers in Tucson. Well today after the first nurse couldn't get the IV placed she called in another nurse and that one goes, 'hey I think I commented on your post on the Rita ranch and Vail board on facebook about Benlysta!'. I was like, 'no way, that's crazy!'. So then we got to talking and it turns out she used to be in a small group with the coordinator of my mops group and that we both went through the foster care class at Arizona baptist children's services (not at the same time) and that her case worker was my Mops mentor mom Julie's daughter. That's so crazy right? What a small world! Anyhow it was great getting to chat with her and I'm hoping to see her in the infusion center again sometime. My mom watched the girls today while I had my treatment, first time babysitting since her accident and it seems that all went well. Even though I asked her not to clean the house, of course she couldn't resist! I really do appreciate the help, but I don't want her to over exert herself. Her physical therapy really seems to be helping her gain back range of motion and strength in her arm which I'm so happy to see. I know it's hard for a parent to see their child in pain but it's also hard for a child to watch their parent suffer. So I'm glad she's recovering well! Anyhow, my appointment today went from 8:30-12 so that's an improvement over last time. Yay! I felt pretty good afterward, a little tired and my mom let me take a nap after I returned some phone calls. I actually was wanting to go to the gym tonight but then opted for taking a bath and reading instead. I think I probably would have been ok working out but I don't want to take the risk this early in my treatments. I'll go to Zumba tomorrow morning and resume my workout routine then.

No comments: