Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Benlysta #1

Well I'm here! All checked in and just waiting for the medication to get mixed at the pharmacy and sent over to the infusion clinic, which apparently can take up to 90 min. Then the infusion itself should take 60 min but thats at the 'suggested' rate of 250cc/hr. I asked if I could start at 75cc/hr and up it 25cc every 15 min if vitals are good. This is what was recommended to minimize side effects from the people on benlysta buddies on Facebook where the main admin is an RN who has taken benlysta since its first clinical trial 8 years ago. The nurse here said they have to follow the manufacturers guidelines. However I'm beginning to like my nurse more and more because she not only called the pharmacy to check but also my rhuematolagist. He agreed to start out at a half dose of 125 for 15 min and then increase to the full dose to at least make sure I tolerate the medication ok before doing it full strength. So yay for a small victory!

No comments: