Monday, February 7, 2011

3 & 1/2 months Old




Nola is 3.5 months old now. I realized today that I need to have her 3 month pictures taken...cue the cha-ching sounds symbolizing dollar bills rolling out of my pocket. Buuut it's just not fair to have professional pics taken of Embry every 3 months and then not of Nola. I already feel guilty for not getting her weekly pictures done while I was in the hospital. I also can't find any pictures of me on life support, not a single one. I'm feeling a little disappointed tonight so this is probably not going to be a very uplifting post. I just got called home about 5 minutes after leaving for a girl's craft night because Embry was throwing up all over the place. She's been sick for a while with a cold, but then on Saturday I cancelled a playdate at Chick-fil-a and a trip to the zoo because she was running a fever. Later that day I took her with me to run some errands (first time taking her alone since the hospital) and she was fine until we got to Costco where she cried 'mommy mommy, I need go poo poo!' and then threw up all over me in the check out line. I also feel bad for my response which was to ask the cashier and cart person for some paper towels that I had just bought and they didn't respond so I yelled 'paper towels please! I just got thrown up all over!' which wasn't very nice but it seemed like if there ever was a time to yell, that would have been it. Then of course, I apologized about 300 times before leaving. Embry kept saying on the way to the car, 'I'm ok mommy, I'm ok' which was very cute, but overshadowed by the smell of vomit soaking through my shirt. On the way home I just kept thinking, at least I'm alive to smell it...

Then Sunday she seemed a lot better and didn't have a fever and hardly coughed at all so we took her along to a superbowl party. She did great there and acted like her normal self. Today she had a fever again and then got all riled up when I left tonight and like I said, threw up all over. Pretty sure she's just getting way too upset and coughing and then throwing up. At least I hope that's what it is because I've got some weird cold thing going on too and I really hope that vomiting does not come along with it. The nurse practitioner at the clinic wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic in case it turns into something more, we don't want to take any chances. I also got my blood pressure patch reduced again. One more reduction and it'll be gone, woohoo!

Nola still seems to be doing fine and hasn't caught anything yet, fingers crossed. She's smiling a bunch now and almost laughing. She's enjoying her swing more and wasn't liking her playmat very much this past week, but I think that might have been cuz it was off in the corner. I think she might have red hair, but Tony doesn't see it. We have red heads on both sides of the family so it's a possibility although it is a recessive gene.

Today was my first day at home alone with both kids, at least until my parents showed up at 11am. It went really well and I even got some stuff accomplished. That would be due to the fact that Nola was very well behaved and Embry was watching 'Dora' pretty much the whole time. She's obsessed. I mean you have to literally yell her name to get her to turn her head away from the tv when Dora is on. She's also learning lots of spanish, as in, the other day she comes up to me and counts to 10 in spanish on her fingers. It's ridiculous. I mean it's good, but I really don't like her watching that much tv. Then again, I used to watch (and still do) a LOT of tv and it's not like I'm a dummy or something so I guess it's not really that bad.

So, this whole hospital thing...it kinda feels like it never happened. I went through some of the bags that hadn't gotten unpacked a few days ago and I was sitting there holding the Christmas lights that were hanging in my room, thinking, 'geez, all that really did happen'. I just can't wrap my mind around it. I kinda feel like everyone expects me to be doing all the same stuff I did before I went to the hospital too. I'm sure it's nothing to do with anyone else and it's more just the way I perceive it, but that's probably part of the reason I don't feel like I was ever actually sick. Then I'll laugh and get a sharp pain in my side and remember, oh yes, something did happen to me.

I never got the results of the TTP test back. The lab messed up and said they never got the order (even though I handed it to them, they took my blood, then they called my dr to make sure they ran the right test). So the dr is getting it set up so I can go into his office, have my blood drawn, and have his people deliver it right to the place that runs the test. They're supposed to call me to schedule a time, but I haven't heard from them yet. The dr said he's not too concerned though since my other blood tests look good and I'm not feeling bad or anything. I made an appointment with a new primary care physician for this friday, so wish me luck that this one is better than the last one...not hard to be! Tony also goes in for his surgery that day, so I'm hoping all goes well with that and it's quick and painless like everyone says it's supposed to be. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he's normally the one that's always good and healthy around here so it'll be umm interesting to have roles reversed for a while.

We went to Phoenix last weekend which was a lot of fun. I was a little sad that I didn't get to go in the pool or hot tub since that was something I was REALLY looking forward to, but I opted to take a nap instead...aren't you proud of me?! I got to see some family that hadn't seen in quite a while and catch up a bit. It was really nice. We went out to dinner for Allison's birthday and we played games and watched 'Easy A' (one of my new favorite movies, thanks Kristy!) We ate at Culvers a lot (yum) and met Jamie there for lunch one day. I wish we could go up there more to hang out, but it's pretty much just going to be a weekend thing from here on out since Tony's vacation time is pretty much spent for the year. We'll be going up next weekend for Dorothea's birthday, but we can only stay one full day so it will be quite a short trip. :(

3 comments:

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Hi there. I didn't take any pictures of you while you were on lifesupport. I had mixed feelings about that, part of me knew you'd want the pictures but another part of me was scared that I'd never see you again and didn't want that mental picture stuck in my head.

Anyway, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I don't think you should push yourself so hard...meaning no one expects you to be able to do the same things you did or were able to do before this all happened. It takes time to fully recover. Please ask for help when you need, don't hesitate. If anything, we all know how many people are willing and able to help you.

I love you, Leatrice. Hang in there and God Bless.

JoAnn Nehs said...

I agree with everything Anna said she said it so well. I think that is why no one took pictures. We were all very scared. And Lea you do need to slow down, you are trying to do way to much. I don't want you to get sick and end up In the hospital again. Don't think I could handle that again. Love you so much Leatrice