Friday, June 19, 2009

Week 31

31 Weeks Old on 6/19/09

First I have to talk about her outfit in this pic. I bought it and a matching one in blue a long long time ago before we started trying to have a baby. I HAD to buy it because of the adorable hat. I mean, how many outfits come with a hat that cute?! Then I got the blue one too because I still want the cute outfit with the cute hat if I had a boy. To top it off, I got them in the same size for the incredible unlikely event that I would have boy and girl twins. Yep, I'm one of those people. :) I took Embry out to get Tony part of his Father's day present today and go grocery shopping and my goodness, it seemed like EVERYONE stopped me to tell me how cute her/her hat was. I think maybe I should get one.

Embry turned 7 months old last Sunday. We went to church that morning (instead of evening because my nephew was having his first birthday party) and it turns out that they had been using someone else's diaper bag for her! When we walked in to pick her up, the lady holding her was also holding another little girl and a bottle with a drop in. I say that I'm there to pick up Embry and point to her, the lady gets up and references the bottle saying, 'she's just chewing on this, she's not really drinking it.' I say, 'oh ok' and look at Tony kind of bewildered and whisper, 'well that's because it's not her bottle.' Then the lady goes to grab her diaper bag and grabs the wrong one and I tell her which one it is. So we get the baby and the bag and go home to find that Embry is wearing a size 2 diaper (she's been in size 3 for a long time now) and she pooed all over the place. It's at this point that we realize they had in fact been using the wrong diaper bag for her and probably trying to feed her someone else's bottle. I'm sure if I worked in a nursery, I'd get babies and their bags confused all the time. Point is, I thought it was somewhat funny, but if it were someone else's baby this had happened to I'm sure they'd be none too pleased.

Embry started doing her army crawl forward this week. We quick got the video and digital cameras out and filmed her. Now she's going around the house like crazy. Back and forth from the living room to the dining room over and over again. Because of this, I'm realizing how dirty my tile floor really is. I've decided to save some time, I'm going to attach a swiffer sweeping cloth to her stomach and just let her go all out in the dining room/kitchen. She's also fascinated with chewing on the laptop cord, we'll have to do something about that. Another key development is that she's learned how to use her walker really well within the past week. She really enjoys scaring the crud out of the cats. She'll see one across the room and run full speed ahead towards it while screaming. They run underneath the dining room table and then Embry will run into the table repeatedly trying to get to them. I walked into the dining room yesterday after I heard a noise and Embry had grabbed my video camera off the coffee table and perched it precariously on the edge of her walker, I'm glad I caught her in time!

I've been trying to get her to use a sippy cup, but she really doesn't understand that you still have to suck on it to get liquid to come out. I gave her one yesterday while we were in the kitchen and she was mostly playing with it, but I figured it didn't matter if it kept her occupied. Then I look behind me after a minute or two and she had unscrewed the lid and had a large puddle of apple juice on the floor in front of her. Naturally she put both hands out to the side, shoved her face into the floor, and started to suck the juice off the floor. I had a moment of, 'should I go get the camera and take a picture or clean this up before she gets all wet and sticky?' Then decided to clean it up. She is so silly!

I took her to the dr yesterday for a follow up appt about her diaper rash. It had gotten a little bit better, but wasn't going away so the dr told me to come in. She weighed 17lbs 11oz with her clothes on. The dr prescribed some steroid cream in addition to what he prescribed last time and said it should be gone within 2 weeks. I asked him about his thoughts on orajel cuz I had heard it could make their gums hard and make it more difficult for the teeth to come through. He said orajel is ok, it will only numb it for a few minutes though, the best thing to use is a cold teething ring. I asked about those homeopathic teething tablets that everyone is raving about and he said that there's no evidence that they do anything at all. So that's that.

I'm getting really nervous about taking her on a plane to go to WI in July. She needs a lot more to keep her occupied now and she screams extremely loudly for no reason at all. Mainly she does it when she's happy, like yesterday in the check out line in Costco. That place is extremely loud and her scream was ear piercing even with all the background noise. I'd be so embarrassed if she did that on a plane. Eeek.

2 comments:

JoAnn Nehs said...

The outfit and hat are adorable. It's a good thing it was kind of cool out today. Your blog is very fun to read as usual.I love reading your blogs. And of course seeing the new pictures of Embry each week. She is so cute. love mom

Melissa said...

Adorable outfit!

Okay, I have to admit that this post had me giggling. Between the little mixup at the Church's daycare and the vision of Embry eating juice from the tile floor (LOL!), I'm definitely amused. :)

And I cannot believe that your daughter is only a few weeks older than mine and she is doing so much already. Solids? Army crawling? Walking with a walker already? Good grief, my baby is waaaay behind. She's not even sitting up unassisted yet, eek!

Embry is adorable! Great post & have a good weekend. :)