Friday, April 3, 2009

Week 20

20 Weeks old on 4/3/09

I finally got Embry's 4 month shots on Tuesday. Boy that was an interesting experience! The shot part itself was pretty standard. I held her on my lap and the nurse gave her 3 shots in her right thigh. I thought it might be good to get all her shots in one leg since last time it hurt afterwards when she would move her legs. She cried, but not nearly as much or as loud as last time. I thought she might even be ok without getting fed right afterwards, but I decided to cover my bases and fed her for a few minutes anyway. Good thing too because the nurse had forgotten to have me sign for one of the shots.

The interesting/extremely frustrating part was the waiting to get in. I didn't mind waiting since Embry was really well behaved, but there was a mom and her 2 kids (7 and 6) who sat right next to us. The 2 kids were obviously not feeling well since their voices were hoarse, they keep sniffling, and they were sneezing/coughing. Well, they repeatedly got within an inch of Embry's face (I'm not exaggerating) and talked to her. They were trying to be funny and play with her, but my goodness, I was about to freak out. I'm normally not at all germophoby, but this was a little extreme even for me. So what am I spos to do in that situation? Moving across the waiting room would have been blatantly rude (although it was rude of the mom not to corale her kids in my opinion) and saying something would have caused confrontation (which we all know I'm extremely opposed to.) So yes, I was really confused, hurt, and frustrated by the time we were called into the exam room.

In other news, Embry no longer wants to take her bottle and it is a little bit maddening. She used to not have any issue with taking it, but now she'll just squish the nipple around in her mouth which causes the milk to flow down the side of her face and make a mess. She will suck a few times or if she's super hungry, but I don't know what her deal is. I'm contemplating buying those bottles where the nipples are more like a boob shape, but then I feel like if she doesn't like that either then I'd just be wasting a bunch of money. Also, we're out of size 2 diapers. According to our scale she's 16 lbs now, which is the bottom threshold for size 3, so we just moved her into those tonight. Hopefully they won't leak overnight.

I found a rainforest jumperoo on craigslist today for $45 and when I called the lady I expected it to be gone, but I was the first one who called! So I drove to the middle of nowhere (ie Catalina) and picked it up. Embry loves it, so it was definitely worth the drive! Woohoo!

4 comments:

JoAnn Nehs said...

That is the cutest pic of Embry. I haven't seen that outfit. Hope you guy's don't end up getting sick. A doctor's office is the best place to catch something. Most of the people there are sick. I sure hope she gets over not taking her bottle that will make it so much harder on you. See you guy's tomorrow love mom

Melissa said...

Gorgeous little girl!

I cringed when I read about the germy kids at the pediatrician's office. I dread taking my baby to the doctor for well-baby visits for that reason alone! Whenever I see a sicko germy kid near us, I pick up my daughter amd walk to a secluded corner of the waiting room where I simply hold her and sway with her. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm rude; they won't be the ones staying up all night with my kid if she gets sick, paying her doctor bills and whatnot. Do what you have to do! Seriously.

Sorry to hear about Embry's bottle dilemma. Some moms swear by the Playtex nursers (the ones with the drop-ins) because the nipple is wide and soft and resembles a boob. However, my daughter hates those bottles (lol). They're not very expensive, so it can't hurt to give them a try - every other baby but my own seems to like them.

Kelly C. said...

Ugh! People are so rude with their germy kids! I wouldn't worry about being rude to them.. You are the one that is going to be up all night with her if she gets sick! You could always not be rude about it by just standing up with her and rocking her like you are trying to get her to take a nap or something.. I know what you mean though! It is especially hard to do with people you know!

To A T said...

I'm really surprised they left you (and the SICK kids) in the waiting room for longer than 5 min before getting you into a room! Especially with a baby! Maybe I am spoiled since my mom works for a ped and they always have sick kids in an exam room within 5 min of them walking through the door, but it seems like it should be standard! All they are doing is spreading more germs by waiting out there! Ugh! Sorry you had to endure that!

Embry just keeps getting cuter each week!! ;-)