Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Over

Before Surgery



The surgery went well.

I asked the dr beforehand about what happens if the filter caught clots while it was in there and he said they'd know because when they tried to close it, it wouldn't close and then they'd leave it in forever. Well, as you can tell, that didn't happen. I woke up just as they were finishing up and I know I was still a little out of it because I asked the same question a number of times (where there any clots and can I see the filter?) and I could have sworn they told me to leave the orange iodine on for 96 hours, but that's not true. So before they took me out of the OR, they showed me the filter and it was probably roughly about 3 inches long, metal wires like an umbrella, with no wire mesh. It had quite a few small clots stuck to the wires and I asked if I could keep it to which they said no, I'm not sure why though, do you think they recycle those things? Ewww...

After Surgery


Then the nurse asked me to sit up and my pillow fell down and this is what was underneath. Yuck.

So it appears that everything's fine. It hurts to move my neck, or swallow, yawn etc and the seatbelt in the van hits my neck in exactly the spot of the incision. I'm not supposed to lift anything over 20 lbs for the next week, not like I'd do that anyway with my back. By the way, my back is feeling MUCH better! I'm not taking any pain pills anymore, even at night, and I'm not taking too many tylenol during the day. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts, but nothing like before.

1 comment:

JoAnn Nehs said...

So glad the surgery is over I was very worried about it as you say you seem to b the exception lately. Maybe that is changing. I's sure your life is never the same after going through all the stuff you have the last 6 months. I still take my phone to bed with me every night and am terrified if it rings. Please don't ever call me at night when I'm in bed. I have also been thinking about the dying thing a lot more lately. I pray that you will be around for a very long time and get to raise you kids. And that god will heal the health problems, and the bone problems you have so that you can have a better quality of life. I love you very much Leatrice. You are my hero.