Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Technology: Good or Bad?

Perhaps you've read this article going around the interwebs.  Or as I prefer, this counter blog post.  All this controversy surrounding the use of smart phones being a distraction, or an outlet, for moms.  On the one hand you have an article saying that moms are missing out on their kids lives because they are constantly living in the world of the internet and on the other side someone saying that smartphones give moms a small window into the world outside their lives that are mostly consumed with all things kid-like. 

Being a newbie to the smartphone world, I'm naturally amazed at how I went so long without one.  I mean, I can be driving around town and say, 'oh I need to drop something off at so-and-so's house' and within moments be able to have their address mapped and I can watch my van as the little blue dot get closer and closer to their house...it's amazing!  Here's an actual example from this weekend:  Tony had the day off of work and we were going to go to the zoo and then I thought, 'oh, it's hot, we should go to the pool next to the zoo afterwards...but what is it called?'  So I asked my friend, got the name of the pool, looked it up and had a plan!  All in a matter of mere minutes and you know what I did with all that time I saved by using my smart phone?  I spent it with my family. 

Here's my theory:  there's a happy medium in everything and you need to have self discipline to hit that sweet spot.  In 1 Corinthians, Paul writes about this very issue when he says:

'And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.' (1 Corinthians 9:25)

Now I'm no expert on the bible, parenting, life, or anything really but this seems like a legit argument.  Let's think about it this way, if you have a problem eating too much, do you just completely cut out food all together?  No, of course not.  You think, 'dang, I've got a problem.  I need to get this under control' and then you cut back.  You don't just stop eating.  So why when you find yourself using your smartphone at all hours of the day and night do you decide to throw it away, cancel your data plan, and go back to a dumb phone? 

Technology is only a hindrance if you let it be.  We are each responsible for our own actions and even if you have a smartphone or a facebook account you can let your actions shout 'I LOVE MY FAMILY!'  or 'I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!'.  So I say, let's embrace this amazing technology that we're so blessed to have access to.  Let's continue to post pictures of our kids on facebook so that our family and friends, near and far, can feel like they're just a little bit closer to us.  Let's continue to start, join, and support causes that inspire and humble us with people from all corners of the globe.  Let's continue to be efficient in the way we manage our time, our homes, and ourselves for the greater good of all those around us. 

I know technology isn't perfect and that we, as humans, aren't perfect in our use of it.  But I also know that without technology, I wouldn't be able to write this blog post.  Not only because I wouldn't have a computer or access to the internet, but because I wouldn't be alive. 

1 comment:

cara said...

Thanks friend! Well said!